Thursday, April 5, 2012

Happiest Day in 14 Years


I have, unfortunately, abandoned my blog for a while to pursue writing for Bleacher Report. That, too, has been fruitless due to my pursuit of a college degree. However, amid all the studying and completion of assignments, I made time for my favorite part of the year: March Madness. I filled out a couple of brackets confidently predicting Kentucky all the way. This year has been magical to watch. I fell in love with this team game after game. They were so unselfish, poised, and despite their youth, they played at an elevated level. The talent was unreal. I knew there was pressure for them to go far because I contributed to that pressure. I wanted it so badly. A 14 year championship drought was getting tough to take.

The NCAA tournament began, and my stomach was in knots prior-and during-each game. Everyone picked them to win, and I knew it would be a waste of talent to not cut down the nets. Monday night, I lost my appetite and could think of nothing else besides the last game ahead. This was it. At 9:30 p.m. Mountain Time, I would either be the happiest girl alive, or the most depressed. The first half was incredible. We were looking like winners. But I have been around long enough to fear a 2nd half surge by Kansas--which had become their tournament tradition over the past few weeks. When the lead was cut to six with about 3 or 4 minutes left, I almost couldn't take it. I was on the edge of my seat. Somehow the last three minutes took place, all of it was a sort of blur to me, and all of a sudden there we were dribbling out the clock. Oh. My. Gosh. We were, for the eight time, National Champions once again! This win will last me years of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment