Saturday, June 12, 2010

R.I.P. Big 12

So as you've probably all heard...the Big 12 conference is being taken apart team by team, and will inevitably meet the same fate as the SWC (Southwest Conference). I thought the Big 12 was doing reasonably well, as well as any conference can do in the midst of the juggernaut of the SEC. Now teams are jumping off of the Big 12 ship faster than the passengers of the Titanic! Oklahoma State and Colorado to the Pac-10 (Texas and Oklahoma to follow?), Nebraska to the Big Ten, Texas A&M may move to the SEC, and who knows what's left in store-besides some much needed reevaluation of conference names, i.e. Pac/Misc-15.
I suppose in the end every sport at every level all boils down to money. Unfortunately, this fact is greatly illuminated by this recent chess match. Even the Mountain West is adding a team (Boise St.), but let's be serious, who cares about that. The question is, how much more shifting is going to take place? Will there eventually be only five conferences left?
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about these changes. I love everything about college football, even the BCS (it's not perfect, but it's the best we can think of), so I am a little of leery of all this. However, the facts remain that the programs will still be good, and the SEC will continue to be the most dominant conference. I guess we'll just have to wait until the end of August to see how it all pans out!

No comments:

Post a Comment