Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Glorious Game of Golf

Some may read the title and immediately scoff at it or think that I'm being sarcastic. Whomever does this is wrong. I love golf! Although it is an anomaly for someone of my generation to be enthused about the typically old person's sport, I find it absolutely enjoyable to sit on the couch and watch the major tournaments (especially the Masters, it's my favorite) on the television. Despite popular belief, I did not always love watching the Glorious Game. I shared the opinion of most people, which is that golf is boring, a sport with little action, and very long. However, I love my dad, and he always watches the major golf tournaments. So I started plopping down on the couch next to him and try to bear the beating of boredom so I could spend more time with him.
It was then that I realized that, up to that point, I had only taken a cursory glance at the game. It was in fact extremely enthralling! Every shot was crucial, and the intensity was palpable and practically tangible through the t.v. screen. I became easily engrossed by simultaneously rooting for my favorites and rooting against my enemies. Cheers would be emitted and rise up through the house as Colin Montgomery, Sergio Garcia, and other antagonists shanked their tee shots or yipped a close putt. The same praises of hallelujah would be heard as The Shark (Greg Norman) or Tiger Woods would sink a perfect putt for a birdie. Watching the deteriorating mental toughness of a golfer is slightly cathartic. It makes you realize professionals have mental breakdowns like the rest of us, though thankfully ours aren't usually broadcast around the world.
Another really attractive thing about golf? Maybe not the clothes (does Ian Poulter even own a normal pair of pants?!)-though, Tiger always looks sharp, especially on Sundays in his victory red shirts. The real attractive thing about golf is that it's one of the few sports that isn't corrupt! Baseball is run by steroids, the NBA is run by franchise players and money, the NFL is being infiltrated by rapist quarterbacks, and the list goes on. Golf hasn't changed all that much, except the material and technology of the clubs, and the difficulty of the courses. For some consistency in your life, golf will never disappoint-except, of course, if the guy you're rooting for misses the cut or chokes on the 18th. It's a classy sport, and it's exciting. Give golf another chance, and let me know if you don't end up getting hooked :)

No comments:

Post a Comment